Do You Have a Canine Personality?
Near this spot are deposited the remains of one (Newfoundland Dog) who possessed Beauty without Vanity, Strength without Insolence, Courage without Ferocity, and all the Virtues of Man, without his Vices. -- Lord Byron
It would be virtually impossible to live up to the character of, Boatswain, a beloved Newfoundland, as described by Lord Byron over two centuries ago. Byron went on to say, "This Praise, … would be unmeaning flattery if inscribed over human ashes." That is certainly a slap to humankind, but is it true? Why do we praise the virtue of a dog well beyond our more guarded appraisal of human virtue? As you consider your personality characteristics and compare them to our canine companion, perhaps you will feel a touch of flattering kinship.
We are all familiar with doggy characteristics as described in many old adages: A dog is man's best friend. A barking dog never bites. Let sleeping dogs lie. You can't teach an old dog new tricks.
Do you share characteristics with our canine companions? Do you have puppy power? Let’s take the quiz and test your doggy meter.
Your responses will be either "wag, wag, yeah, yeah" "whimper, maybe" or "growl, no way"
Do You Have a Canine Personality? - Quiz
1. I drop what I am doing and patiently listen to the people in my life when one needs a sympathetic, droopy ear.
2. I have a well earned reputation among my friends and acquaintances for my fierce loyalty.
3. I can be trusted to be myself without a public mask of pretence or affectation—what you see is what you get.
4. I am relatively grounded and stable.
5. Grrrrowl, I can be counted on to protect my friends and family when the wolf is at the door.
6. Really, I am pretty cool with an upbeat attitude—just throw a ball and watch me go.
7. I am without prejudice or bias, I accept everyone as good folks until I have ample reason to grab a pant leg.
8. I love the great outdoors and a chance to get some exercise and hang out with my buds.
9. I absolutely adore strokes from my favorite people, yet I understand that I am not the center of the universe and sometimes they don’t have time to tussle my hair.
10. Sure, grooming is fun and cool, but I don’t spend my life panting in front of a mirror.
Score your responses, "wag, wag, yeah, yeah" is three points, "whimper, maybe" is two points and "growl, no way" is counted as one point. The maximum score is 30 points and the least doggy score is 10 points.
You are barking up the wrong tree (Scores 10-15)
Rin-Tin-Tin you are not. Perhaps you are the more aloof feline personality, an intellectual or you are simply doing your own thing. Your appearance may be quite important to you, if so, you probably fully understand the meaning of “you only have one chance to make a good first impression.” You are no one’s toy or doormat to be manipulated and used. You have a purr-fectly tuned “cow pie” meter, no doubt, you are cunningly perceptive.
Robust self-confidence is essential (take our self-confidence quiz) if you hope to make your mark in the world. Luckily, your profile suggests that you are quite confident and capable.
Every dog has its day (Scores 16 – 23)
You are gifted with many and diverse attributes. You are as adaptable and resilient. You can call on the characteristics that work best for you in any situation. You are "the fit" in survival-of-the-fittest. You are probably proficient in a number of areas and cannot be pinned down by the usual labels: cognitive, risk taker or introverted/extroverted. Your friends may have decided that you are charmingly unpredictable. You aren’t unpredictable, you are an intriguingly unique breed.
Hotdog (Scores 24 – 30)
Loyal and affectionate probably best describes your personality type. You share qualities with the tenacious Bulldog, the incredibly winsome Irish Setter, the playful Labrador retriever and the daring and protective German Shepherd. Your woof is your bond and you can be trusted without reservation. You are accepting and optimistic, you expect to find the best in human nature. Because you are grounded and rock solid your nickname could be the "Rock." Unfortunately, that appears to be taken.
Socially, you probably have a wide circle of friends and acquaintances who have discovered, to their delight, that you can be counted on when the going gets rough. They also value your sympathetic nature, outdoorsy charm and sense of humor.
Tell A Friend • Comment • Print • Feedback
To his dog, every man is King; hence the constant popularity of dogs. -- Aldous Huxley
Dr.Dorothy Personality Books
- Emotional Maturity Test
- Narcissistic Personality Disorder
- Borderline Personality Disorder
- View All Personality Quizzes
- Love at First Sight
- Sensuality Quotient
- Dating Psychopath
- Living with Narcissist?
- View All Love Quizzes
- Dog or Cat Personality
- Are you a 'Now' Hottie in 1950's Styles?
- Jason Bourne and Your Personality
- Do You Read Bodies?
- View All Fun Quizzes
Be better informed and receive Personality One updates by subscribing to our Newsletter.